Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Five Albums I simply can't stop listening to

(No matter how hard I try)

1. Weezer: The Blue Album

Perfect. Everything about this album is awesome. Half the tracks are radio singles, the other half are still pretty awesome. Original songwriting, unique old-meets-new sound, highly personal and insightful songwriting married to some excellent musicianship makes for deliciousness.

2. Against Me!: Reinventing Axel Rose

The vigor of idealism coupled with the bitterness of homelessness! Add a radical agenda and POOF: AWESOME ALBUM.

3. The Anniversary: Designing a Nervous Breakdown

Despite deciding to suck on their next album, this one delivers emo bliss. The Anniversary couples a classic emo outfit with a moog synthesizer. I loooooove their sound.

4. Motion City Soundtrack: Commit this to Memory

Remember what I was saying about moogs? THESE GUYS HAVE ONE TOOOOO. And it's produced by Blink 182's Mark Hoppus. Their Pop sensibility serves them well. While they fall apart a little later on the album, I find myself coming back again and again.


5. The Darkness: Permission to Land

Just . . . what the fuck? I can't take these guys seriously. Every time I pop in the CD, I see the lead singer in a white spandex singlet. And yet . . . Their ability to turn hair metal on its head and their blazing guitar solos bring me back again and again. It's just fun to listen to. I can't stop myself. Kill me, master! Kill me!!!

2 comments:

Steven said...

Great post. I second you with the Darkness. I have a few albums that I can't stop listening to as well, or rather, I've stopped listening to them because I know them too well. I find myself that way sometimes with Beulah, John Coltrane, and a few others. Have you ever played a song or an album repeatedly because there's something that you can't quite figure out? Like, you love the song/album, but don't know why?

Bo said...

All the time. I'm constantly trying to figure out what makes catchy music catchy, so I'll listen to a song 4 or 5 times in a row just to try to figure out WHY GOD WHY DO I LIKE THIS SONG?!!